[Rhodes22-list] My Centerboard delamination

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Thu Dec 9 15:45:08 EST 2004

Lou,

No gelcoat on your centerboard you say?  Quack?

I took another look at your photos.  Man, if that's not gelcoat; then, it's
some of the thickest bottom paint I've ever seen!  It's hard to believe that
any boat builder would build an underwater part like a centerboard & just
paint over the raw FRP laminate.  However it got that way, assuming you are
correct & that delaminating layer is really old bottom paint; then, I would
strip all the bottom paint off your centerboard down to the raw FRP
laminate.  Fix any cracks or delaminations in the FRP laminate.  Then, I
would put down an unthickened epoxy tie layer, 20 mils of epoxy with West
422 Barrier Coat additive, and a couple coats of bottom paint.

By the way, if you really don't have any gelcoat on your centerboard; then,
you should consider doing some dimensional comparisons with your rudder
blade.  With no gelcoat, the FRP laminate in the centerboard may be swollen
due to water absorbsion &/or freeze/thaw cycles.  This could be another
reason for the interference fit in your centerboard well.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium