[Rhodes22-list] CB trunk Surgery - Roger's Recommended MOC

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Dec 9 17:44:56 EST 2004

Roger Pihlaja wrote:
> However, it turns out that uncured West system epoxy & catalysts (They are
> really epoxy products made by the Dow Chemical Co. - shhh, don't tell
> anyone!) are completely soluble in ketones like acetone or methyl ethyl
> ketone (MEK).  If Lou is not getting good penetration into the cement; then,
> he can thin out the uncured epoxy with acetone in practically any proportion
> he needs to get the viscosity low enough...

I have a problem similar to the CB fix, requiring a
saturation before adding mat, etc.  Questions, Roger:

1.  Does the MEK interfere with the catalyst action?

2.  Do you add the MEK after mixing resin and catalyst,
    or before, to just the resin, or ????

Thanks for any light you can shed.

/Bob Skinner