[Rhodes22-list]Garolite or wetted porous wood?

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Fri Dec 10 04:59:21 EST 2004

Lou,

OK, let's think about what wood is.  Wood is a composite of cellulose fibers
stuck together with lignin "glue".  You can wet out the cellulose wood
fibers with epoxy & end up with a composite structure that is relatively
more water resistant.  However, in an abrasive wear situation with water
immersion, like you seem to have in your centerboard well, are you going to
trust that the epoxy coating is going to provide long-term waterproofing for
the wood?  Yes, yes, I know that people build epoxy cedar strip canoes all
the time & they seem to work just fine.  But, unless you can assure the
epoxy resin is going to be infused all thru the wood fibers, I wouldn't
trust this MOC in an underwater situation with abrasive wear.  The only way
I know to assure that kind of epoxy infusion would be to apply the epoxy to
the wood in a high pressure autoclave to drive the liquid resin deep into
the wood microstructure.  Simply wetting out the wood with epoxy won't get
to the same state.

In contrast, G-10 uses glass fibers and the epoxy resin is uniformly
distributed throughout the composite microstructure.  Now, even in the
presence of abrasive wear, water is not going to penetrate into the G-10
composite structure.  Even if water did penetrate, the glass fibers are not
going to biodegrade over time like the cellulose fibers in wood.

The bottom line is, wood strips coated with epoxy will probably be
sufficiently stiff to serve in this repair application.  Long term
durability will be questionable.  A repair made with G-10 will be about as
bulletproof as I know how to make it, given your situation and available
resources.

It's your boat so you get to make the call.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilbrium