[Rhodes22-list] Re: CB trunk delam update

Lou Rosenberg steadilsr at verizon.net
Sun Dec 12 17:06:43 EST 2004

Roger,

  Ok got down to cutting a 10"x5" swath of the CB trunk out with the
dremel tool today.   The garolite should arrive tomorrow, and I dont
think i can remove the narrowest section of the bulging by the rear of
the board where its at the narrowest opening in the trunk.   So I have
to make the tough call and just leave it alone and not pull the board
all the way up.
  Using a mirror on a sharpie pen, I was able to see the small void
where the cement had become loose and expanded,  It did feel somewhat
moist but not wet.  Getting the lower part of the bulge out is the most
difficult and I will have to come back and work from below on  my back
, mask and goggles all the way.  Hopefully we will not get blitzed with
as much snow as Michigan probably has already!

  NEW QUESTIONS:

1. I  know you said i needed to bridge the gap btw the garolite and the
wall with tape and I think I can do it .. will try to buy  medical
forcepts for this job, but dont you think a few layers of thickened
epoxy would also do if i keep the gap to a minimal space?

  2.Would i need to bevel the trunk wall even though  its been sanded
down?

I took my cam today but didnt really have time since I am my marina is
having issues with power.
If we dont get blasted with sub zero temps in late Dec, i get a week
off from Christmas to New Years and plan to do as much as I can that
week to fix the trunk.

  I did find the source of the water  intrusion to the ballast.  Where
the cap bolt flange meets the bilge there is a space where the rain
water must have found its way down into the cement.  It looks like just
poor workmanship or a combo of water damage and not enough epoxy there.
   I will have to clean out the ENTIRE length of the CB trunk joint to
the bilge and re epoxy.  I  might glass the entire gap if I find its
been compromised through out.. That is a fun job compared to what i
have got to do  with the trunk.
BTW:   I think I actually ran my hand around that space when i examined
the boat for the first time , cringing at how damp it was back in
August, but would have had to get my fingers behind the bolts to feel
the crack and space opened by years of neglect and too little epoxy or
glass.
  I plan to bring the cleaned up board next time and see how it fits.

  ONE LAST questions whenever you get a chance:

3, Is it common on most older Rhodes for the pendant to be run right
through the hole in the board or do some boats have a U shaped SS
fitting which attaches through the hole?  Mine had no fitting but I
machined one from 3/32 thick SS,  and now am wondering if there will be
clearance for the bolt.  This part of the board has to move through the
trunk the most so I realize its clearances are crucial.
  Thanks Roger,
   Lou