[Rhodes22-list] Re: CB trunk delam update

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Mon Dec 13 00:14:07 EST 2004

Lou,

So, the small circular saw blade in the Dremel Multitool worked OK for you?

If the cement is damp; then, you will probably have problems in the future
with delamination.  Is there any way you can leave the exposed cement open
to the atmosphere for a while so it can dry out?  Even better, is there any
way to put an electric space heater blowing on it to dry it out more
thoroughly?

1. I  know you said I needed to bridge the gap btw the garolite and the wall
with tape and I think I can do it .. will try to buy  medical forceps for
this job, but don't you think a few layers of thickened epoxy would also do
if I keep the gap to a minimal space?

Hey, if you absolutely can't get in there to laminate a piece of fiberglass
tape across the crack between the G-10 patch and the centerboard well; then,
troweling some thickened epoxy into the crack would be better than nothing.
The trouble is, the shear strength of these polymers isn't their strongest
MOC property.  You will have to worry about long term creep and sheer
failure.

Consider making a cardboard mockup of the G-10 patch that you can trim to
exactly fit the hole in the centerboard well.  Then, you can use the
cardboard mockup as a template for the G-10.  Once you have cut & trimmed
the G-10 patch such that it dry fits the hole, consider laminating half the
width of the fiberglass tape onto the perimeter of the G-10 patch before you
install the patch into the centerboard well.  Let the epoxy on the
fiberglass tape only cure to the green state & then quickly install the
patch with thickened epoxy bonding the patch to the concrete, thickened
epoxy in the crack between the G-10 patch and the centerboard well, &
thickened epoxy on the fiberglass tape.  This technique has the advantage
that the fiberglass tape will be automatically held in perfect alignment &
prevents the G-10 patch from being inserted too deeply.

2. Would I need to bevel the trunk wall even though its been sanded down?

I'm not certain I understand the question.   If you are wondering about
sanding a relief into the centerboard well all around the edge of the hole
so there is room to laminate the fiberglass tape across the crack & not have
it stick up above the surface - The answer is yes, you should do that.  If
that's not the question; then, you will have to clarify.

3. Is it common on most older Rhodes for the pendant to be run right through
the hole in the board or do some boats have a U-shaped SS fitting which
attaches through the hole?  Mine had no fitting but I machined one from 3/32
thick SS,  and now am wondering if there will be clearance for the bolt.
This part of the board has to move through the trunk the most so I realize
its clearances are crucial.

My centerboard pennant is attached with a simple hole thru the centerboard.
I can't speak for other boats.  Perhaps Stan has better data.  If you have a
centerboard width clearance problem associated with the diameter of the rope
loop thru the hole; then, a U-shaped SS shackle could be used to reduce the
width.  You can reduce the width of the thru bolt on the shackle by using a
round head machine screw with a chrome plated barrel nut.  One possible
downside of this strategy is the extra vertical clearance required between
the aft edge of the centerboard and the top of the centerboard well because
of the shackle.

Once you've done the best repair job you can with the centerboard well;
then, any remaining interference will have to be removed from the
centerboard.

Certainly, if there are any leaks between the centerboard well & the bilge;
then, these are going to have to taken care of.  At least these leaks should
be relatively easy to get at!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium