[Rhodes22-list] Cold weather hits the tropics!

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 20:00:13 EST 2004

Herb,

Your WX arrived here about five hours later. We ran
about  1 1/2 hrs late into Memphis this morning and
arrived shortly before noon.  No big deal, just
outstanding Christmas package volumes and a late sort,
thus, late departing airplanes, thus, late arriving
returns (the a/c never stop moving but for
the temp was +12C which even accounting for ram rise
was warm given that it was +1C on the ground. Warm air
aloft above cold ground temperatures mean only one
thing. I told my crew  "this does not look good for
the outbound".  Sure enough, about 3pm we started
getting freezing snow pellets.  After the Air Florida
accident in the early 80's the chemists came up with a
de-icing fluid with almost an hour hold-over time.
It's worthless in freezing ice pellets.  We had to
spray the engine nacelles prior to engine start to
keep from sending ice chunks through the compressor
blades, then head for the "car wash", then a second
"car wash" just prior to take-off.  Long story short:
I ran the clock out at 16 hours of duty.  The good
news is I get to sleep in my own bed tonight.  The bad
news is it took over an hour to drive home (normally
20 minutes) and it will be worse getting back to work
tomorrow.  I hate cold weather!  If anyone gets their
Christmas present a day late, sorry, my buds busted
their ass today to make it happen.  Some days you're
the windshield, some days the bug. "Tomorrow,
Tomorrow, there's always Tomorrow"

Brad