[Rhodes22-list] MRI Interview Trip

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 25 06:40:45 EST 2004

Roger,

Best of luck.  We've been very unsuccesful at getting
student visa's lately for kids of Fan's friends.  The
Homeland Security Department is about as efficient as
the TSA at the airport.  Patience is a difficult
virtue to muster when you're dealing with the gubment.

The Plaza area is indeed nice.  In 1984 I was flying a
small jet for a Coca-Cola bottler.  My first week on
the job was the week they changed the taste of Coke.
My boss was Chairman of the Bottlers Association and
we burned the paint off the jet attending meetings
around the country.  He put me up in the Plaza area
and I had a really good time.  About ten years ago
when I was on the 727 I was doing airport standby one
night in Indy.  We were launched to Kansas City to
recover freight from a broken bird.  When we got there
another crew took our bird and we got stuck
baby-sitting the broken one.  No one had bothered to
make hotel accomadations so we were on our own.  The
mechanic said we would be there a few days so pick
somewhere nice.  As it turns out, a convention was in
town and the only rooms available was penthouse suites
downtown.  Damn the bad luck.  I told my crew I'd been
here before and we needed to go eat in the Plaza
district.  It was a while ago but I think there may
have been some alcohol involved.  It was very late
when we returned and there were no cabs.  I spotted a
car with a light on the top and jumped out in the
street to flag it down.  A very stout looking female
cop got out of the car and said "what the hell are you
doing in the middle of the street?"  "Oh sorry
officer, I thought you were a cab"  She asked where we
were going and barked, "get your ass back on the
sidewalk".  "Sure thing Mam, do you think you could
give us a ride back to our hotel?"  "Don't press your
luck buddy"  "Yes, Mam!"  I haven't flagged down a cab
long distance ever since.

Brad