[Rhodes22-list] Turtles, Politics, and Sailing

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Fri Dec 31 16:52:12 EST 2004

Brad,

Nope, not TN's wedding, but speaking of first daughters, a colleague of mine
was on a flight from Minneapolis to Chicago and sat next to the Bush twins,
Jenna and Barbara, who were out campaigning for Daddy.

During this chance encounter, Schroeder wished the President and his family
the best of luck on the up coming election, and said if the President needed
a band to play for his Inaugural Ball, what better choice than the
"Casablanca Orchestra"? (which of course translates to the "White House
Orchestra")  He then gave them a business card and said he'd follow up by
sending them a couple of copies of the groups new Cd,"Covered".

A couple of weeks after the band sent a letter and 2 CD's to the White
House, the 1st Lady's Chief of Staff sent Schroeder and the rest of the band
a thank you note.

Immediately following the election results CBO sent a letter of
congratulations and a press kit, again expressing their interest in playing
for President Bush's Inauguration.

The 1st Lady's Chief of Staff once again sent a letter to the band and said
she would forward the group's promotional material to the Inaugural
Committee. After the committee poured over more than 1000 press kits, CBO
was chosen to represent the North.

In addition, I used to teach high school band at Lakeville High (a southern
suburb) and the LHS marching band is invited to march in the inaugural
parade.

As you know, I didn't vote for Bush, but I'm mighty proud that my fellow MN
musicians got the gig!

Slim