[Rhodes22-list] Current round of Virus Attacks

Kroposki kroposki at innova.net
Fri Feb 6 11:40:15 EST 2004

Jim and all others:

      My email address is and has been exposed thru various media to
recipients not only all over this country but internationally.  My
benefit for this is I routinely get messages that an email I sent can
not be delivered.  I usually do not know the addressee and did not send
him any email.

      My local access provider runs filters, anti virus, and anti spam
software both ways.  In fact he said he has several code writers just
doing anti virus work.  He said the latest attacks have specifically
targeted servers and service providers.

      Then I run Norton, Pest Patrol, and other protection software.  I
also have a hardware firewall.  While I am signed up for automatic virus
updates, I still manually check for updates a couple of times a week.

      If you want to see what the latest rounds of virus attacks are
doing, then you should see my incoming from two universities.
Contemporary education is using the internet extensively.  However, the
university students and faculty at best can be described as 'Rookies'.
They open anything and spread viruses and worms with abandon.  I doubt
this is intentional, they barely comprehend getting on the Web.

      Take a look at Norton's latest hit list:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

The big hit this past week was:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.mydoom@mm.re
moval.tool.html

Especially see the directions that not only should you run the removal
tool once, but immediately shutdown, reboot and rerun the tool.

On my computer this took a couple of hours.  I usually start the process
and then go do something else.  My laptop is much newer and faster and
usually takes about ¼th the time.

Appreciate how much work Michael and Sail Net are doing in keeping the
list running.

                   Ed K