[Rhodes22-list] Sailing in So. Virginia

Saroj saroj at pathfind.net
Sun Feb 8 13:09:15 EST 2004

This is better than sailing in AZ where all sailing during the summer comes to a near standstill and the winter days are often too cold!  Went sailing again yesterday here in So. Virginia.  Still have patches of snow, but it was a balmy 41 degrees, sunny with 15 knot steady winds (my sailing buddy, a woman who was First Mate for the Navy - a 'real' professional) actually thot winds were 20... gusts to 30.  In spite of a reefed main, no foresail, and dragging the motor in the water, we really scooted actoss the York river.  Knotmeter is out of commission so no actual speed measurement - I would guess 4 knots.  I can't say we were warm the whole time, but certainly not terribly uncomfortable either.  Her two brave daughters (11 & 13) assisted the efforts and we had a delightful, invigorating, sail!

Once again, not a boat in sight except for the military ships at Cheatham Annex and the Navy Weapons Pier.  Even the spook training camp, Camp Peary, has no boats in the water this time of year - not even on their davits... wooooses!

Saroj