[Rhodes22-list] Steve 2 cycle vs 4 cycle smoke: ad nauseam

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Sat Feb 14 08:00:43 EST 2004

Michael,

We've got a British Seagull 3 hp and it's got to be the least
environmentally friendly outboard I've ever run. It uses a 10 to 1 mixture
(really!!) and the prop shaft seal is created when the 140 weight gear oil
mixes with the water at the seal surface creating a nice frothy barrier.

OTOH, it starts every time and is incredibly simple and easy to work on.
It's got a 4-blade prop that provides incredible low-end torque to drive a
displacement hull. I suppose it would have been just the thing you'd want on
the African Queen in the middle of the jungle far from any service. I've
felt terribly guilty both times we've used it (when our Merc 8 has been in
the shop).

Mark Kaynor