[Rhodes22-list] Steve 2 cycle vs 4 cycle smoke: ad nauseam

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Feb 14 11:57:35 EST 2004

Bryan,

The Tohatsu 4 stroke came in at 58db in PS tests.  That's pretty good for an outboard.

They sell a remote control unit for their motors that turns on and off with a key, and allows you to shift gears and throttle with a single intuitive lever which I have mounted on the port stern rail beside my captains seat.  The set-up is a delight that allows me to keep my eye on the water at all times.

I paid for my remote, but I'm quite sure Rummy got one for free--thrown in with his motor.  I got my motor cheap and paid a lot for the remote.  We probably paid equivalent amounts for the total package -- it's a sales tool, but having had it once, I would never be without it.

I have used the Yamaha tiller remote, and while they get an "A" for innovative design, in use it is not nearly as intuitive as the 1 lever remote.

Bill