[Rhodes22-list] Will, inspection report?

William P. Barry, III wp.barry at att.net
Sun Feb 15 19:31:26 EST 2004

I ended up going Saturday, and it was a last minute change. Jay did not end
up going. Overall the boat is in ok condition. Small issues, vinyl stripe
down hull, bottom paint redone, small chip through bottom paint into gel
coat. Cabin messy owner left all his stuff there and apparently told the
broker he doesn't feel like taking it out yet, hull very dirty. Didn't have
fall cleaning. Bigger issues: fold down swim platform left major crack in
stern of boat. Was repaired, said it happened because without buoyancy in
the water the weight on land was too much. Makes me worry...will it happen
again? other issues, the cockpit floor apparently the owner dropped some
stuff and must have chipped the fiberglass...he got a little epoxy happy and
tried to do the repairs himself...looks as though he did it in the dark, and
where the there are the former groves on the floor is now solid epoxy. Looks
horrible. Again same thing on different areas in the cockpit just put the
epoxy on and left it. But back to the fold down swim platform issue...Should
the boat's hull be made strong enough so the hinges wouldn't cause damage
like that? i'm not sure that the damage was really caused outside of the
water, although the water should take away some of the weight, id be afraid
now that the damage was done once, is more vulnerable and could happen in
the water again. I'm not sure about this boat, Although i like the
Eagle...seems like its a lot of work to be done, and project boat isn't what
we were looking for.

    Will Barry