[Rhodes22-list] Bow pulpit

Rik Sandberg sanderico at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 22 10:33:03 EST 2004

Michael,

I do not disagree. However, I have seen many "protrusions" on the front of
sailboats, or powerboats too for that matter, that were made of FRP and would
be considered by most folks to be a "bowsprit". I have not however, EVER
seen, after walking past a few hundred boats, a "bow-pulpit" made of FRP. I
am certainly not the last word on anything boat related, but I think Barney
may have his terms confused here. A FRP bowsprit type appendage would, in my
mind, be more plausible than an FRP bow-pulpit. Just want to be sure that
Barney and the rest of us are really on the same page. :-)

Bottom line here is that whatever Barney hangs off the front of his boat, if
it's made of FRP, the first time he bumps a dock, it's likely to bust into
many small pieces. FRP can be fairly strong for it's weight, but it is not
particularly tough (able to bend) or forgiving like a metal part would be.

Personally, If I was going to make a sprit for an R22, I would use a metal
frame on the outside, with a wood filler in the middle. No matter what one
hangs out there, one is going to have to have some kind of brace down to the
bow to support it.

I also agree that an anchor roller is both easier and probably better. Doesn't
look as "shippy" though. :-)

Rik