[Rhodes22-list] Solar Panel Questions

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Tue Feb 24 10:36:32 EST 2004

Jim,

Jobst Vandrey's Compac 19 "Solar Wind" used a very interesting large solar
panel mounted on brackets above the hatch top (for very good reasons he
describes in his essay about it).  He could charge four 6 volt deep cycle
golf cart batteries and power, among other things, an electric trolling
motor for 5 miles!

Check it out -
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Forest/2727/trailersubweb/trailer_electric.html#solar

I hope you find it was interesting as I did.

PT

> Listers,
>
> I'm thinking of adding solar panel(s?) to the boat to trickle charge my
single battery.  I see the photos of the GB twin installation on either side
of the po top and this looks neat.  See
http://www.rhodes22.com/head_large.html

> Does anyone know the dimensions of that area?  I can't get to the boat
right now to measure.

> My principal battery use underway is a depth sounder and marine radio,
occasionally running lights.  According to Don Casey, I need not less than 5
watts for trickle charging.  10-11 watts may be a better size in the
northeast.  I have not seen small rectangular solar panels advertised that
look like they would fit in that space on the cabin top.  Any ideas?

> Does the 10-watt solar panel kit advertised on the GB web site
http://www.rhodes22.com/part_order.html correspond to the twin installation
shown in the top photo on the "Swell Head" page (referenced above)?  If not,
what does it look like?