[Rhodes22-list] Story: Forward Weight?

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 24 10:52:04 EST 2004

Here's a short story that I have been meaning to share, and there is
actually a question at the end.  Several weeks ago Rummy, Roger R and I were
out doing some tandem sailing on Hartwell.  It was a beautiful winter
day-temps in the high 50's maybe 60, and the wind was blowing 15-20 with
gusts higher.  Great day of sailing.  After we parted company at the end of
the day to head back toward our opposite ends of the lake, I was
singlehanding back to my dock, but the long way.  The wind was strong, the
boat was hauling a--.  Had the full main, half the genoa and the boom in the
lower position.  It was almost dark at this point, but it was too great to
rush back to the dock.  Still, I was sailing pretty hard and was heeling
nicely as I sat in the stern seat.  Then a strong gust of wind hit and the
boat healed over so far that water came pouring into the cockpit.  The water
actually filled up the compartment in the coaming and floated the cushion
off the seat before I released the mainsheet.  I was surprised that the boat
never rounded up, but I think the gust hit so quickly that it just heeled
over instead.  I was puzzled by the water coming into the cockpit and wonder
if more weight forward would prevent that?  I remember this happening one
other time and it was when I had one crewmember with me on the high side
near the cabin.  Of course, the first time it happened I immediately
released the sheet and there was not much water in the cockpit.  But this
time, I was in no hurry to release the sheet and wanted to see how much
water would come in.  The answer:  a lot!  Would have continued if I did not
release the sheet.

Anyone have any experience with this?  Is it a normal part of the design, or
is it because of the weight at the stern (motor, battery, me, etc...)?
Bob K