[Rhodes22-list] Computer update.

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue Feb 24 20:51:19 EST 2004

Well, we finally did it. Yesterday we had a DirecWay satellite dish
installed. This is not the small 18" dish we were used to, but it's almost three feet
across. This monster allows us to have two seperate TV's running different
programs and most of important, it gave us a broadband connection to the internet.
We also set up a wireless network, so every computer in the house is always
connected, including my wife's laptop when she's sitting outside.
It was rather expensive, around $720 for the dish, modem and installation.
Our wireless equipment was about another $300 or so. It was absolutely worth it.
If you have always had a phone modem, you can't believe the difference the
speed will make. I did a 1 1/2 hour downlaod in four minutes.
E-mail attachments go very quickly. So far we haven't had a single problem
with this baby. I would have to say that it was worth every penny. This isn't
for everyone I understand, but we had absolutely no other option available to
us. We live in a somewhat rural area and the local cable company doesn't offer
an internet connection. The phone company doesn't have any plans in the near
future of upgrading the equipment out here, so we were stuck.
The installers knew exactly what they were doing. Two thumbs up for this
hardware.

Rummy