[Rhodes22-list] epinions

Ben Schultz BenS at ApproSystems.com
Fri Jan 9 13:48:53 EST 2004

Fred,

My family had a Catalina 22 when we were growing up, and I sail a Rhodes
now.  I was in the market for a Catalina when I stumbled across the first
Rhodes that I had seen.  From the first glance, I liked the Rhodes better.
The biggest draws to me were:

1.  The cockpit is noticably bigger.  We like to take other people out
sailing, and we are very comfortable with 6 adults on board.  I'm not sure
that would be the case with some of the others.

2.  Innermast furling.  I intended from the start to sail single-handed a
lot.  (Ironically, this is a feature that I ultimately decided against, but
it sure would be nice to have when those summer squalls spring up suddenly.
Even without the IMF, the Rhodes is easy to single-hand.  My wife
occasionally takes it out with no crew other than non-sailing friends, and
nothing is too heavy or difficult for them to do.)

3.  The Rhodes is just plain good-looking.  Velvet Elvis is the nicest
looking boat in our marina, even though it is the smallest, or very close to
being the smallest.

4.  As I started to research the boat a little, I realized how beneficial
the centerboard design would be.  As it turns out, my favorite gunkhole is
always mine and mine alone, since smaller boats aren't comfortable for an
overnight on the hook, and larger boats are afraid to traverse the sand bar
that guards the entrance.

And although I didn't know this at the time, the customer service you get
from General Boats couldn't possibly be matched by what you would get from a
bigger company.  Where else can you get on the phone with the guys who have
been building the boat for decades and have them talk you through a problem?
I've seen Stan's home phone number posted for us on this list.  (I know that
I wouldn't do the same for my customers :-))

Those were the big things for me.  Others are really moved by the
floatation, mast raising system, motor mount, captains chairs, etc.  All of
that is great too, but I'll leave it for those who feel passionate to
elaborate.

By the way, where are you located?  Maybe one of us can take you sailing
soon!

Ben
R22 Velvet Elvis
Baton Rouge