[Rhodes22-list]Guns and Politics

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Fri Jan 16 10:36:12 EST 2004

Roger Pihlaja wrote:
> ...  Knowing there are 200+ million guns out there
> has got to cause any overly ambitious politician a
> moment's reflection.  The 2nd amendment is really
> the ultimate check and balance on government power.
> For all the trouble that widespread gun ownership
> causes, it's still worth it.

Unfortunately, Roger, the lethality of weapons available
to anyone in government far outstrips that available to the
citizens.

The 2nd amendment was written in before machine guns
were invented, or bazookas, for that matter.  The
unavailability of these weapons to the general populace
nullifies their ability to resist tyranny, rendering the
2nd amendment moot in that regard.

The restrictions are supposed to prevent your average
nut case (or person with a cause) from doing severe harm
to large numbers of the general populace.  So they use
ammonium nitrate, fuel oil, and a truck.  The criminals
are generally satisfied with a Mac-10 or Uzi-like weapon -
the same ones that require a special license and tax stamp
for the honest citizen to acquire.

Fortunately, we still have the option of defending our
homes while the police are busy busting people for
victimless crimes defined by do-good legislators
pandering after easy votes from overly righteous citizens.

Let us hope that this right does not follow the others
heaved over the side by our representatives in the
oh-so-misnamed Patriot Act

--
Robert Skinner, "Squirrel Haven"
9 Gateway Commons, Gorham, ME 04038-1331