[Rhodes22-list] UPS

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Tue Jan 20 10:42:27 EST 2004

Bruce,

Mary Lou says it very well. I'd just like to add a few things.

Our main developed a small rip last summer. While we were repairing it, we
participated in our regularly scheduled regatta just for the heck of it. We
ended up coming in 6th overall in corrected time, 8th across the line out of
about 14 boats - and that with no main! We weren't able to point very well
(understatement), and just about came to a standstill every time we tacked
the 175% jenny. But, man oh man, was that first downwind leg fun with the
UPS to port and the genoa poled out to starboard with the boat hook!

It was a two lap race with a downwind start. We had a fairly poor start,
about in the middle of the pack, but were the second boat to the first
mark - after a J22 that got across the start first. We passed about 6 boats
on that one leg. The first turn was to port, so all we had to do was furl
the UPS and sheet in the genoa to a close reach. We did acceptably on that
leg, as well.  Once were trimmed and on course, it was simple to drop the
UPS to the deck so we could tack when we turned to windward at the next
mark. The windward leg pretty much killed us, though <g>.

We love the sail. It's not a replacement for the 175 - they're actually
quite complimentary. The UPS has more area higher in the sail, so, in
lighter wind you're getting more of that high, clean air into the sail.
We've actually used it to windward in light air to get past another boat
that was stealing our wind.

And like I said earlier, if there's enough wind to keep the genoa inflated,
the two deployed wing-on-wing on a run can compete with any full spinnaker
we've come up against - and they're way easier to manage. And when the
wind's up around 10-12 knots - woohoo!

When we know we're going to use it, we set it up at the dock and bring the
top half of the sail down into the cabin. When it's time to deploy it, one
of us goes to the mast to make sure it clears the spreaders. On those
occasions when we've set it up under sail we've found it to be easy and,
after the first time or two while we were figuring it out, it's always gone
smoothly.

There are two things we are changing from the stock delivery from Doyle.

The first isn't a big deal, and isn't really necessary. We're going to use
slightly smaller, lighter sheets next season. The supplied sheets are a bit
of overkill - they're okay, but we found that in lighter wind, they tended
to pull the sail down a bit. Lighter sheets will enable the sail to maintain
a better shape in lighter wind.

The second is our biggest annoyance with the sail. I think the furler is
slightly undersized for the sail. We're first going to first try reducing
the size of the furling line. Like Mary Lou and Fred, we have had problems
furling the sail. If you take enough turns to furl the sail tightly, the
spool fills with line before the sail is fully unrolled. On the other hand,
if you remove a few turns so the sail can deploy fully w/o filling the
spool, there aren't enough turns on the spool to fully furl it before
reaching the end of the line. Our solution is to buy a smaller line that
will allow us to keep several more turns on the spool. It's pretty easy to
furl and we never sail it partially out, so line strength and comfort in the
hand aren't as important as they are for the genoa.

Mark Kaynor