[Rhodes22-list] Spinnaker

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Wed Jan 21 07:49:02 EST 2004

Andy,

I presume you are refering to flying a cruising spinnaker without the use of
a pole.  A triradial spinnaker is nearly impossible to fly without a pole.

Dynamic Equilibrium is rigged to fly both cruising and triradial spinnakers.
The cruising spinnaker can be flown without a pole.  However, the operating
envelope (i.e. the range of suitable points of sail, variability of wind
strength & wind direction, and sea state) is much greater if a pole is used.
For example:

In light air, a pole supported by a topping lift helps support most of the
weight of the cruising spinnaker, thus dramatically reducing the minimum
wind velocity required to keep the sail inflated and pulling. The following
picture illustrates Dynamic Equilibrium on a light air close reach with the
spinnaker pole supported by a topping lift.  Note, Dynamic Equilibrium is
flying a triradial spinnaker in the picture, but a cruising spinnaker works
the same.
http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/spinnaker.jpg

Also, in the above picture, note the use of a "spinnaker snuffer sock" for
setting and dousing the spinnaker.  The snuffer sock is visible all bunched
up above the head of the spinnaker.  I have my control lines for the snuffer
sock led back to the cockpit.

In puffy or shifty conditions or when there is a quartering sea, a pole
helps to stabilize the cruising spinnaker's sail shape in-between puffs or
as the boat "corkscrews" & rolls under the sail.  If the wind direction is
variable, a pole helps to keep the sail from collapsing in-between wind
shifts and it is ready to start pulling again as soon as the wind shifts
back.

In heavy air, a pole held down by a downhaul helps keep the clew of the
cruising spinnaker from rising up.  This flattens the sail shape,
dramatically increasing drive and reducing heeling.

On a close reach, a pole helps keep the leech of the cruising spinnaker away
from the mainsail, thus preventing backwinding of the mainsail.

I recommend the use of a Forespar M/N: HD 6-12 DL heavy duty, twist-lock, te
lescoping whisker pole.  Don't use anything lighter duty or your cruising
spinnaker will fold it in half!  I recommend the use of an adjustable track
on the front of the mast to adjust the inboard height of the pole.  The
following picture shows a close-up of Bill Sparhawk's mast track
installation:
http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/spintrack.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures that illustrate the mast track and pole
storage arrangements on board Dynamic Equilibrium:
http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/Roller_Furling.jpg
http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/Family_On_Boat.jpg

Hope this helps Andy.  Good luck!

Roger Pihlaja