[Rhodes22-list] Boat for sale

Richard Smith sailnut at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 21 11:06:48 EST 2004

<The "we need a larger boat" ploy leads to "this isn't working" and finally
"let's get rid of the boat".  Don't let yourself get suckered.

Most of my friends who purchased larger boats to accommodate their families
found themselves alone in floating tubs wishing they still had the boats
they loved.  >

Let me say amen to that.  We bought the Albin (28) in the expectation my
family would use it every summer week-end.  The fact is that it does not
work out that way.

Cruising is a contemplative activity.  Children are beings of action and do
not respond gracefully to multi hour passages.

A larger boat costs more and bring complexity (in sort of logarithmic
inflation) then a smaller boat.  Because of their great momentum and high
equipment loads serious injury becomes increasingly possible.

Any boat represents a serious of compromises.  These compromises apply to
every aspect of the vessel.

I wrote earlier that nothing is more thrilling then sailing a 4 ton
sailboat.  True enough but the downsides (at least for me) mandated that I
sell my largish boat and get something smaller and cheaper.

Richard Smith