[Rhodes22-list] Sculling Practice

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Jan 23 08:10:07 EST 2004

Last summer on a windless day I decided to practice sculling.  I set up the rudder so it was almost horizontal, and started moving it slowly back and forth -- sort of like the gondoliers in Venice.

It worked.  I sculled for several miles until I got bored.  I could have done it all day if I ever had to.

The trick is to take short strokes back and forth so you are not constantly changing the direction the boat is pointing.  Once you get the boat moving, its not hard to keep it moving.

I put the tiller between my legs, and just rocked from side to side while standing in the cockpit with one hand on the boom when needed to help keep my balance.

Bill Effros