[Rhodes22-list] Prosecuted homeowner blasts officials

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Fri Jan 23 16:21:36 EST 2004

I don't remember who said, "There are lies, there are damn lies and then
there are statistics." but nonetheless, here are some stats compiled in 1999
put together by a gun owner's group.  Earlier I said I thought about half of
US households have firearms.  I may have to stand corrected.  These stats
indicate about half of Canadian homes have guns.  In the US, it's about
12.7%.  (oh yeah, now I remember--it's half of US households have pets.  8-)
Note:  they indicate that guns were used on intruders about 2.5 million
times but only 8 % (200,000) actually shot the intruder.  Most of the time
the weapon was merely brandished or warning shots fired.  I didn't see any
stats pertaining to self-defense legal outcomes.

Also, here's a link on gun safety that's well worth a look.

Slim

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=homeowner+and+statistics+a
nd+firearms&page=1&offset=1&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26amp%3Breque
stId%3D447d7b0eaad623ee%26amp%3BclickedItemRank%3D1%26amp%3BuserQuery%3Dhome
owner%2Band%2Bstatistics%2Band%2Bfirearms%26amp%3BclickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A
%252F%252Fwww.gunowners.org%252Ffs9901.htm%26amp%3BinvocationType%3D-%26amp%
3BfromPage%3DAppleTop&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gunowners.org%2Ffs9901.htm

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=homeowner+and+statistics+a
nd+firearms&page=1&offset=1&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26amp%3Breque
stId%3D447d7b0eaad623ee%26amp%3BclickedItemRank%3D6%26amp%3BuserQuery%3Dhome
owner%2Band%2Bstatistics%2Band%2Bfirearms%26amp%3BclickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A
%252F%252Fhome.sprynet.com%252F%257Efrfrog%252Fsafety.htm%26amp%3Binvocation
Type%3D-%26amp%3BfromPage%3DAppleTop&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fhome.sprynet.co
m%2F%7Efrfrog%2Fsafety.htm