[Rhodes22-list] Early spring training

Gardner, Douglas (LNG-DAY) douglas.gardner at lexisnexis.com
Tue Jan 27 14:58:43 EST 2004

I've gone about 320 or so.

Isn't LHL an awful long way for you to go for a sail?  I thought I was far
away at 1 hour!  Now I'm 20 mins.

Or are you just going to winter down there, and move her back up to Superior
for all seven weeks of mosquito and fly season?

I made a bit of a mistake in winter prep... I never covered Fretnaught,
planning to decorate her for the holidays as I used to do.  Never happened,
then we had the huge rains.  I thought everything was draining nicely, but
Saturday I went out and looked in the Lazarrette.  Everything was encased in
a very large block of ice.  Water was backing up into the lazzy and I didn't
know it.  Now its frozen solid.  God, I hope there's no damage!  I've had
frozen water in there before, but never this much.  *sigh*.  Well, if it
isn't one thing its another.  At least I remembered to put a block under the
rear of the trailer so she isn't sticking nose up!  Maybe I should store her
at LHL?  Sounds like an idea... just move the whole northern Rhodes fleet
south for the winter!

In other news... Dylan is now 2 1/2 years old.  About time to learn how to
set a spinnaker!  Great little guy, but he does have all of the standard
toddler issues. Kyle is 8 months old, today.  He is the sweetest little guy
you could imagine.  He loves to smile and laugh in exchange for nothing more
than a friendly look.  He's had his share of trouble, though: Starting out
life in the newborn ICU at Children's hospital, then after thanksgiving he
had a nasty bout with RSV (a respiratory virus which is like a cold to us,
but can be deadly for infants.)  He was hospitalized for the better part of
a week with that... much of it on oxygen.  Then last week he was in the
hospital with pneumonia.  Oh, and ear infections.  He is better now, but we
do need to be very careful.

We are more or less settled in the new house.  Probably will build a pole
barn, but need to investigate that a bit.  Looking at options for it.  I'd
LIKE to have enough room in it for the boat and the camper, as well as the
tractor and a workshop.  We'll see.

--Doug