[Rhodes22-list] Traveler question revisited

Robert Dilk Robert.Dilk at TRW.COM
Thu Jan 29 10:36:35 EST 2004

Another I idea I have is machine split fixture to fit over the backstays and support the traveler bar side to side. This setup would also require vertical lines to transfer the vertical loads to the boat structure.

Bob

>>> sprocket80 at mail.com 01/29/04 10:18AM >>>

    Someone recently asked for solutions for adding a traveler, GB or otherwise, to an older R22 without replacing the backstay(s).
  Maybe some of you engineer types, (hint hint... if they are not too busy, now that school is back in session) can comment on a couple of ideas I have.

  My backstays are attached on through the third hole down on the chain plate/adjuster link bar.  Could I cut the backstays right at the top of the toggle, slip a tube end cap on, and re-swage another toggle on, and reposition the pin in the top hole or add longer adjuster plates?

  Or does anyone see a problem with my second idea?  (see attachment)

Todd