[Rhodes22-list] GBI's Single Handed Mast Raising System

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Thu Jul 1 23:28:15 EDT 2004

I retrofitted GBI's single handed mast raising system onto Dynamic Equilibrium, our 1976 Rhodes 22 about 3 years ago.  As many of you know from the pictures on the web site, Dynamic Equilibrium has a custom made set of stainless steel railing.  My aft mast crutch is also custom designed to work with my railings.  So, I cannot pass judgement on the GBI mast crutch.  However, the gin pole system itself is superbly engineered & constructed.  In my opinion, it's as good as anything I might have designed & built for myself!  I have raised and lowered my mast on the water many times with the GBI system.  Many of the boat trips we've taken since installing the mast raising system have been planned with this on-the-water mast stepping capability in mind.  The gin pole stows nicely under the cockpit seats.  You can also leave it attached to the socket on the cabin top & use the built-in winch to lash it down tight against the foredeck.  I've never had a sheet get fouled on the gin pole during a tack.

Having the built-in brake on the winch greatly facilitates on-the-water mast stepping.  Quite often, during the mast raising or lowering process, the rocking or pitching of the boat in the water will cause some part of the standing rigging to become fouled.  With the built-in brake on the winch, you simply go & attend to the problem at your leisure & then resume cranking.

My custom aft mast crutch is considerably more compact than the GBI mast crutch.  My mast crutch disassembles & I store the components in the head outboard of the porta-potti.  I can sail with the aft mast crutch in place; but, it adds considerable windage & some weather helm.  I wouldn't think the GBI mast crutch wouldn't add as much windage or weather helm.

Considering the types of loads placed on it & the magnitude of those loads, the GBI gin pole & winch are sized appropriately.  You certainly wouldn't want to trust a twist lock or button lock telescoping mechanism given the potential compression loads.  You won't be able to build anything for yourself that is as safe to use or works as well.  The
value / price ratio on this piece of gear is very high.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium