[Rhodes22-list] Fw: Jibbing

Robert Dilk Robert.Dilk at TRW.COM
Tue Jul 6 10:38:12 EDT 2004

Ditto to Dave's answer.

I had an uncontrolled jibe in heavy wind and my boom lifted and became trapped by the backstays.  It was very exciting as the boat layed abeam to the wind with the rail in the water until I released the boom.

Bob
S/V Knot Necessary

>>> david.walker5 at comcast.net 07/03/04 09:54PM >>>
Keith,

If you are running with the wind and have the main sheeted out, and you jibe
accidentally, the boom can rise enough to hit the backstay.  The proper
solution to this when jibing is to sheet in hard before the jib and let out
the sheet quickly but under control after the jibe.

Another help is to use a vang to keep the boom down during down wind
sailing.

Dave Walker