[Rhodes22-list] Boom - Pop Top Interferance

Todd Tavares sprocket80 at mail.com
Tue Jul 6 14:12:11 EDT 2004

   Rob,

   Here is an copy of an e-mail Roger sent to me giving the uses and
   locations of the holes in the mast on his 1976 R22, and an attachment
   of a drawing I made.  I hope this helps.

   Todd

   ,

   As per your request, here are the dimensions from the base of the mast
   up to various holes in Dynamic Equilibrium's mast:

   Base - #1: 3"  Holds down the pop top slider in the closed position

   Base - #2: 24" Holds up the pop top slider in the raised position.

   Lower Boom Position:

   Base - #2: 24"

    #2 - #3: 6"

   Upper Boom Position:

    Base - #4: 39"

    #4 - #5: 6"

   Mainsail Gate:

   Base - Lower Edge Of Gate: 30-1/2"

   Lower Edge Of Gate - Upper Edge Of Gate: 7"

   Note that hole #2 does double duty, holding up the pop top slider as
   well as serving as the bottom stop for the lower boom position.  In
   use this is not a problem, because you never raise the pop top with
   the boom in the lower position.

    Also note that you will need hole #1 to hold the pop top slider down
   if you want to use a boom downhaul to apply luff tension to the
   mainsail.  FYI, my boom vang is also attached to the pop top slider &
   thus depends upon the slider being pinned down in order to vang the
   boom.