[Rhodes22-list] Critical Standard Mainsail Standing RigDimensionsFor Rhodes 22

Lloyd Crowther lcrowther at cox.net
Wed Jul 7 01:12:26 EDT 2004

Sarjo,

The boom on my '84 Rhodes is nine feet six inches long and it has that same
furling feature of pulling it aft (maybe it is then 9'8") to rotate the boom
and supposedly roll the mainsail around it that you describe.  However, I
also am able to reef my main to the reefing points with a system consisting
of two lines that are fed through grommets in the main in line with the
reefing points, which is the system I use.

I always felt that the feature of rotating the boom was a pain in the A**
when I was trying to furl the main on the boom after taking the bolt rope
out of the mast but since I now have slugs on the mainsail luff ( but not on
the boom) the mainsail stays attached to the mast and is easy to furl and
fits much better under my sail cover when I am buttoning up after sailing
single-handled.

To those of you who responded to my query about Mainsail slugs last winter,
thank you.  I had them put back on minus the slug at the headboard and that
solved the problem.  Incidentally the boss at the sailmaker (previously
named) told me I (you-all) was (were) crazy  but agreed to do it after I
pointed out that I was paying for it and with the cash came the right to be
crazy!  A costly lesson for me but not for him because I had cut all the
original slugs off after I couldn't get the main all the way up and I wanted
to go sailing.  At least I kept the slugs which cut the price down somewhat.

Lloyd