[Rhodes22-list] Critical Standard Mainsail Standing Rig Dimensions For Rh...

FNuttersNY at aol.com FNuttersNY at aol.com
Sat Jul 10 15:00:56 EDT 2004

I followed with interest recents mainsail config. chatter.  I replaced my old
roller ref. main  this week with a full size main with sluggs.  To do so I
dropped the boom to its lowest position about 8" above the hatch.  I ran the
rope in the boom slot and shakeled the end as I ran out of room for a pully set
up for adjusting.  The sail takes up the max area possible.  It just so happens
that it was from a previous boat.  It has a reef point 3' up from the boom.
The results are:  the boat seams to be better ballanced,  it doesn"t heal
nearly as much  because of a lower cg, and it flat out flies.  I like being able
to stand in the cockpit and handeling the boom for reefing.  When sitting the
boom clears your head by about 2'.  I keep it  on a short leash so no one get s
wacked.  I use a smaller head sall which I set up to self tack. I feel the
overall performance is much improved.  Plus the boat looks a bit more "propper".
 If I want head room I just push the goose neck back up the mast.  I have
about ten adjustments to rest the goose neck on via a cotterpin stop.  The other
option was to replace the sails with new roller reef main and headsail.   The
total cost of that would be about 5 times  what I paid for the boat if through
GB about 10 times.