[Rhodes22-list] Ky Lake?

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Thu Jul 15 20:56:12 EDT 2004

Anne,

If you responded to my e-mail query on the list; then I never saw it.  Never
having met you, I was a little reluctant to address you directly.  I was
somewhat dissappointed & puzzled when all I saw were other people making
oblique references to you & your famous potatoes.  It seemed odd that all
these other people would be volunteering you.

Gary & I drove down on Wednesday, July 7, 2004, arrived after dark, & camped
at the Piney Campground on the southern end of KY Lake.  On Thursday &
Friday we backpacked a loop on the Fort Henry trails across the southern end
of the LBTL.  The trails were very well marked & we camped overnight at a
place Kirkman's Camp.  We stayed at Kirkman's Camp because of the natural
spring.  With the daytime temperatures hovering in the high 80's/low 90's
all week with high humidity, Gary & I went thru a lot of water in order to
stay hydrated.  We each carried a 100 oz water bladder + two 25 oz water
bottles & went thru nearly all of the water over the 8 - 10 mile hikes we
took both on days.  Us poor yankee boys just weren't used to southern
Kentucky heat & humidity.  But, we managed to survive.

Late Friday afternoon, we got back to our vehicle & drove up to the Energy
Lake Campground.  Energy Lake Campground served as our base camp for the
next three days.  We had intended to attend a historical walking tour of the
Great Western Iron Furnace.  However, when we stopped at the Homeplace to
purchase tickets, we found the tour had been cancelled due to lack of
reservations.  We also found there was going to be a drag boat race at
Pisgah Bay on KY Lake on Saturday & Sunday.  We rearranged our mountain
biking route to take us by Pisgah Bay by late morning.  The drag boat races
were very exciting & we stayed at Pisgah Bay until after the last heat at
around 6:00 PM.  Then, we mountain biked back to our vehicle & then drove
back to the Energy Lake Campground.

On Sunday, we had a 2:30 PM stable time for a private guided horseback
riding session.  While waiting, Gary & I had lunch at the restaurant at the
KY Lake State Resort Park.  Driving back to Wrangler's Campground, the radio
announced the entire area was under a severe thunderstorm warning & we could
see the black clouds moving in from the SW.  As I feared, the riding stable
was forced by the weather to shut down operations until it cleared up & we
were the last private group going out that day.  It started storming while I
was talking to the stable hands.  They tried to offer us the 1st slot on
Monday; but, I explained the 11 hour drive back to Michigan precluded that
plan.  So, we didn't get to go horseback riding.

Well, Gary & I  thought about what to do for a few minutes.  We looked in
our AAA tour books for Kentucky & Indiana.  We finally decided we would
break camp ASAP & drive to Louisville, KY that night.  We took a hotel in
Louisville that night.  On Monday morning, we were one of the 1st people
thru the gate when 6 Flags Kentucky Kingdom amusement park opened up.
Getting to the park early meant there were virtually no lines & we quickly
got to ride all the roller coasters multiple times.  We'd pretty much done
all the rides we wanted to do by the time we had to hit the road at 3:00 PM.
We arrived home at about 11:30 PM that night.

I don't know how I missed your response & I am truly sorry.  Again,
hopefully you didn't go to any trouble on our account.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium