[Rhodes22-list] bilge pump

Gardner, Douglas (LNG-DAY) douglas.gardner at lexisnexis.com
Fri Jul 16 12:24:43 EDT 2004

Rick,

   I'm sure you'll get some good responses.  We've had extensive discussion
on this in the past, and several excellent approaches.  I particularly
remember MJM's approach (multiple bilge pumps in various locations) and
Roger's (he made a well in front of the centerboard trunk).

I can only give details on mine.

For mine, I went the easy way.  I have a cheap electrically operated bilge
pump w/ a float switch under the floor of the head.  It is directly wired to
the battery, with a fuse inline.  Therefore, it is NOT disabled if I have
the battery switch in the off position.

The hose runs into the galley area and up to the hull-deck joint, where it
turns back with a vented loop and then back down to tie into the sink drain.
The vented loop is important to prevent siphoning if the sink drain
through-hull is under water on a port tack.  Some people recommend a check
valve in addition to or instead of the vented loop.  However, I opted for
the simpler solution with less potential for obstructions in the hose.

To my knowledge, the bilge pump has never come on, although I have had water
in the bilge. I've never had what I consider to be a LOT of water in the
bilge, and I've always found and patched any small leaks.  Generally, my
bilge is BONE dry. I forced the pump to come on to test it, but I guess
there was never enough water to activate the cheap float switch.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably buy a better pump and better
float switch, and try to shorten the hose length by using a more direct
route to the sink drain.  However, I don't think there is much wrong with my
general approach if the goal is just to assist or to keep a minor leak from
severly flooding the boat if I'm away for a few weeks (assuming the battery
charger is connected to shore power).

I do have a manual bilge pump, which is really the primary way to get water
out of the bilge.

--Doug