[Rhodes22-list] Palm Pilot Ship's Log

eric.charles.newburger at census.gov eric.charles.newburger at census.gov
Mon Jul 19 13:12:54 EDT 2004

I am quite fond of my Palm Pilot, as well.  I use it for checklists,
calculating tides, almanac data, celestial navigation equations, and a host
of other calculations I programmed into a neat little text-based
programmable calculator.

I personally find it easier to look up information on the Palm than to
enter it, and so I favor the above sorts of applications.

However, if I were going to log voyages with my Palm, I would use the Excel
reader in Documents to Go.  It will easily organize the data you want to
enter into columns, will make downloading your data onto a computer simple,
and can pretty handily do any DR or drift calculations you might want.  You
could program it to alert you to low battery or other critical levels.  You
could program it to remind you to perform various maintenance tasks, too,
though the appointment book or to-do list functions on the Palm might be
easier for that.  And of course, you can put any checklists into either
Excel--or simply the Notepad on your palm.

Eric Newburger

                      "Herb Parsons"
                      <hparsons at parsonsys.com        To:       "The Rhodes 22 mail list" <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
                      >                              cc:
                      Sent by:                       Subject:  [Rhodes22-list] Palm Pilot Ship's Log
                      rhodes22-list-bounces at r
                      hodes22.org

                      07/18/2004 09:16 PM
                      Please respond to The
                      Rhodes 22 mail list

I have used Palm Pilot devices for several years now, and I'm almost never
without one. Currently, I use a Palm Treo 600 PDA/Cell Phone combo. Ever
since I got my sailboat, I've been looking for a Palm OS based ship's log
program. I've never found one. I recently found a developer that wants to
write one, and is looking for suggestions on what it should include.

I've come up with the following, but am looking for further suggestions:

Trip/Voyage Log:
             Date
             Location (long & latt)
  Wind speeds/weather conditions