[Rhodes22-list] UPS sail

Robert Dilk Robert.Dilk at TRW.COM
Tue Jul 20 09:25:30 EDT 2004

Thanks for that info. I am looking at the same sail issues. the GBI furler works fine, but I am thinking I would like to be able to change sails without lowering the mast.
It looks like I am going to have to spend the money for the UPS sail.

Bob

>>> mltroy at verizon.net 07/19/04 11:25PM >>>
Bob,
Meant to answer this earlier. We really like the UPS - particularly for
light air and chop. In those conditions it's often been the difference
between sailing and motoring. We've used it in light air reaching
conditions as well though once we get above 5 knots we point better with
the genny (ours is a 175). If the wind is variable or tending towards the
lighter end the UPS is just terrific. If we're on a broad or beam
reach   above 5 knots its still a fine sail but not as clear an improvement
over the genny.

We have the 175 on the GBI furler and every time we think the next genoa
will be a 150 or so, we hit one of those steady 7 knot days when it is just
perfect. We are still mulling over what our next sail might be. I suspect
that we'll look for a furler that will allow us to easily change sails,
keep the 175 and get something smaller (110, 120?) for heavier air.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Swan Creek, MD / Ft. Washington, PA