[Rhodes22-list] Boat Lift Report

Bob Immel rimmel at houston.rr.com
Wed Jul 21 08:36:35 EDT 2004

While waiting for my new Rhodes 22 to be delivered I have constructed a
cradle-type boat lift in the canal behind my house.  I thought the list
might be interested in this effort.

Besides the avoiding the issue of bottom paint maintenance, I'll feel a lot
more secure when the high tides and hurricanes come.  Previously, my Gulf
Coast 18 was secured to the bulkhead with mooring whips.  The mooring whips
worked well and are a very cheap solution but became a little worrisome when
the canal water rose more than two feet over the bulkhead during hurricane
Claudette last year.

The hardware for the lift was manufactured by Boat Lifts U.S. of St. James
City, Florida (Ft. Meyers).  I have modified the 6000#, all-aluminum lift
with swivel brackets and carpet-covered wooden bunks in an effort to
simulate the configuration of the Rhodes 22 trailer.  I'd like to thank Todd
Tavares for providing detailed trailer specifications.  I imagine I'll need
to make minor adjustments to the bunks and adjustment of the fore/aft beam
height (for drainage) once I actually have a boat. I would also like to
thank Pat Devig for sending me pictures and specifications of his lift and
to Stan Spitzer for his comments.

I have attached some photos here and would certainly welcome comments and
provide anyone with more detailed information if they have a similar project
in mind.

Bob Immel
Galveston, Texas