[Rhodes22-list] keels difference and CR?

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Thu Jul 22 01:30:55 EDT 2004

Roger,

Fandango is a 1990, with the diamond keel, IMF and a 175% Genny.  I often
had lee helm in various/numerous conditions and sail plans.  After a lot of
experimentation, head-scratching and a lengthy thread about it here on the
list a couple years running, I think I've figured it out:

 First, I raked my mast back quite a bit by extending the forestay about 2
and 1/2 to 3 inches--a very generous amount. This moves the center of effort
aft.  Next, adjust the diamond centerboard for the conditions.  Adjusting
the CB also adjusts the center of lateral resistance.  As you raise the
diamond keel the CLR moves forward, gradually creating weather
helm/decreasing lee helm.  And the faster you're going, the less board you
need (beating); no board on a run; etc.  Fine-tuning the CB to fine-tune the
helm in the given conditions is the key.  I have no more lee helm problems.

Slim