[Rhodes22-list] Roger and George

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Jul 25 19:52:45 EDT 2004

Roger,

	A teaching fellowship is a job and at the same times a way for a
better job.  You are paid a 'stipend', which while not at the rate of your
imaged new job, is still earning a wage.  Moreover, once you get a research
project funded, i.e., grantsmanship, selling the sizzle, you name yourself
project director and double dip.  You earn while doing creditable research
and make yourself more in demand.  If you see a viable business, then you
start your own business.  I think this is what happened to Stan.  Do you
remember he mentioned that the big company thought little of his sailboat
ideas.  It is called entrepreneurship?  What was that old U.S. Army
commercial, 'Be all that you can be'.  If you go to work for some other
company, then in a few years, you get downsized again.  Have you asked how
much a teaching research fellowship would pay.  Do you want me to ask that
question too?  "Audacity, Audacity, always Audacity" ,George Patton.