[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Measurements

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Jul 26 15:56:52 EDT 2004

Herb,

If you took a look at Todd's drawings you saw that what he sent was closer to the parts of everything on the trailer than it was to sail measurements.

If you build it and it contains a design flaw that results in your death, who should your insurance company sue?

That was a rough way to restate the problem, and I don't mean to sound hostile, especially coming after Stan's gentle reply.  But it does sum up the most dire possibility with regard to copying some of the engineering problems Stan has dealt with over the years.

When I look back at answers Stan has posted to help people build their trailers, it is clear that one trailer will not fit all R-22 boats.  I'm sure Roger built himself a great trailer, and I'm equally sure Roger would go directly to Stan for help if he were having a problem.

Todd's trailer may be better than Stan's or Roger's, but you simply can't know, nor can you assume that his bunk placement is right for your boat.

If you follow the list for a while you will see that some people are having a lot more trailering trouble than others.  The boat doesn't go on the trailer properly, the trailer fishtails going down the highway, stuff breaks--at 70 miles an hour.

Even though most of us think of our boats as just wonderful expensive toys, we repeatedly entrust our lives to the underlying engineering and manufacturing that makes the boats float and sit properly on their trailers.

I know your initial question was innocent, and you certainly did not expect replies of this nature.

I asked only that you consider the ramifications of your questions, and you have done so.

I'll try to get back to work.

Bill Effros