[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Measurements

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Mon Jul 26 14:58:43 EDT 2004

Bill, I agree 100% with everything you said below. Rest assured, on the trailer my brother needs to move his Rhodes from dry storage to the water, and back again when he is done, I will not add any Rhodes name, logo, "Custom Built For...." designation, or anything similar to that.

I DO however, need to get his boat off my $3200 King Trailer, that WAS custom built for my O'Day 25, so I can take trips without having to first launch his.

Sorry if I've offended anyone by bringing this up, but I STILL think that getting bunker measurements is very much what a list like this is for. Not asking design questions, basically just how much higher does the hull bunkers sit than the keel housing.

Ironically, the bunkers that were set for my O'Day fit pretty well, but I don't like how far back the boat sits on a trailer built for a boat that much bigger. Besides, I really need my trailer back.

Thanks all.

>>> Bill Effros<bill at effros.com> 7/26/2004 1:37:07 PM >>>
Stan,

People are building your things wrong for themselves, and selling their mistakes to others who then hop on internet lists to lambaste you for shoddy design or workmanship.   I think the amount of work Todd has performed in trying to turn a sows ear into a silk purse is admirable, however I have neither the time nor the inclination to check his specifications to ensure they will not result in a dangerous situation, either for him or for the people who follow the plans he has posted.

The more non-standard junk copies of your designs that people free-lance for the Rhodes, the more stories we will hear of failing mast hoists, trailer accidents, and shoddy workmanship.  All of this has hit the list from time to time, and it often takes a while for people on the list to realize that you didn't build the problem in the first place, and that the item in question is different from what we all have.

Until we understand that, we all question the factory built item we got from you, and wonder if it is unsafe, and if you have been selling an inherently dangerous design.

In the 1970s the Chinese bought a Boeing 707, copied every single piece of the plane, and put together an exact copy of the original using their own parts in an attempt to "jump start" their own aviation industry.  They only problem was that the plane couldn't fly, and is probably still in some hanger in China.

It turns out the center of gravity is an important issue in airplane manufacture, and you cannot obtain the same center of gravity by copying the parts, no matter how hard you try.

When I buy something, either new or used, that has your name on it, I want to know that you will vouch for it.  And any time I buy something custom made for your unique boat, I want to know if you made that thing, or if it was made by someone else.

The UPS sails are made by Doyle for your boat.  But they have Doyle's name on them, and everyone understands Doyle backs them, not you.  If North makes a UPS sail for your boat, I expect that North will put its own name on the sail, and that there will be a problem if everything associated with the sail is an exact copy of the Doyle product.

Got to get back to my real job of developing and protecting my own intellectual property.

You are a nice man,

Stay well,

Bill