[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Measurements

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Mon Jul 26 20:03:01 EDT 2004

Herb,

Despite what Bill is telling you re the the ethics & morality of copying
other folk's IP, the reality of the situation is this.  Even if the
Easymatic trailer was a patented or copyrighted design, you can still
legally copy any aspects of the design you wish as long as you do not go
into business selling the resulting trailers.  If all you want to do is
build yourself a trailer for your own personal boat; then, you are on sound
legal ground.  The US patent system prevents other people from utilizing IP
in commercial ventures, not for private purposes.  I presume you are a big
boy & also willing to accept all the technical & legal consequences that go
hand in hand with building and operating a heavily loaded trailer system
used on the public roads.  i.e., if you build something like this, it fails
on the highway, & people get hurt or property gets damaged; then, Katie bar
the door!  Boy are you ever going to be in a world of legal trouble if the
victim's insurance company & lawyers find out you designed & built something
like this without the proper qualifications.  You can also expect your own
insurance company will not defend you in this scenario.

FYI, if you take the boat & unadjusted trailer to any good boat yard with a
marine travel lift; then, they will be able to adjust the trailer bunks to
fit the boat right on the spot.

Good luck to you sir.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium