[Rhodes22-list] Self tending jib

stan stan at rhodes22.com
Tue Jul 27 03:20:06 EDT 2004

Mark,

Since the List has not been much help with your self tending jib and I am up
working, let's see if we can walk you through your ST Jib setup.

As you undoubtedly noticed the ST Jib is on its own furling system and
stored against the front of the mast. Release its storing fasteners and walk
it to the bow deck fitting where the special fitting on its jib stay coming
out of its furler can be attached to the deck fitting and the lever on the
this fitting allows tension to be placed on this second jib stay.

The ST Jib works with is own boom - not sure where ES left the ST Jib boom
on your boat but its forward end connects to a fitting on your bow deck aft
of your genoa connection.  The aft end of this short light weight boom has a
bock on the bottom of it that allows a line starting from a fair lead on the
starboard front cabin top to pass through this block and then through a
matching fair lead on the port cabin top and back to a cam cleat on the aft
port cabin top (the third one; the one that is not being used for any other
purpose)  Setting this line lets you set the amount that this boom can
travel from port to starboard automatically when you tack without your
having to handle jib sheets.

Also at the aft end of the ST boom is another block that accepts the line
coming from the jib sail and allowing this line to turn back towards the bow
and go through a deck block at the pivot point of the ST boom and then back
thru fairleads along the port deck to a cleat that allows you to pull out as
much of the ST Jib as you want to be using.  Also next to the block next to
the boom pivot point is another block that accepts the furling line from the
ST Jib furler and leads that line along the port deck back to another gunnel
cleat that lets you lock the furler to give you the sail area you want.

To furl the sail both of these lines that terminate in these two port gunnel
cleats are released from their cleats so you can furl the ST Jib sail and
change sail size or put the sail away altogether.

The sail is good for heavy airs when you do not want to take out the genoa
or for light airs when you may want to go with both sails flying or when you
are sailing single handed and do not want to be bothered with handling
sheets every time you come about.  The downside is that it is a small sail
so it does not have a lot of drive but is fun to sail with and relatively
easy to put away.

Call me from the boat if you run into any setting up questions.

stan/gbi