[Rhodes22-list] Prop Walk Questions From MJM

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Tue Jul 27 09:18:35 EDT 2004

Michael,

While I was getting ready for school this morning, it occurred to me the
article I wrote a couple of years ago for the FAQ page about single line
docking might be helpful in your situation.  The link is:
http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/docking.html

For your convenience, here's a copy of the article:

______________
All boats have a point along both sides, usually just aft of amidships,
wherein a single dock line will cause the boat to stop parallel to a dock.
To find this point, pick a place along the side. It's helpful to use the
sliding cars on the genoa tracks for this purpose. Attach a mooring line to
this point & pull on it from behind. If the bow pulls towards you faster
than the stern, then slide the attachment point aft. If the stern is
favored, then move the attachment point forward. When the boat crabs
sideways towards you, then you have found the approximate sweet spot. The
actual sweet spot will shift slightly when the boat has forward momentum.
However, this approximate location will be sufficiently close to allow you
to go out & try to pull up to a dock with a single line. Try to stop the
boat with a single mooring line using your approximate sweet spot. If the
bow or stern tend to crab towards the dock faster, then adjust the position
of the line fore or aft as before & try again. When you have found the
correct location, you should at least mark it. You may even wish to install
permanent mooring cleats there port & starboard.

With a single mooring line, simply motor up to the dock, slip your loop over
the piling near the end of the dock, & shift into neutral. The mooring line
attached to the sweet spot will snub the boat's forward momentum & the boat
will almost magically "crab" sideways up against the dock. This sideways
crabbing involves a tremendous amount of drag, which uses up the boat's
forward momentum in a matter of inches, thus making it almost impossible to
hit the dock. The boat will stop at a convenient distance away from the dock
for you to go around attaching your bow & stern lines at your leisure. Try
this technique. I guarantee it will make you look like a boat handling
genius!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

You might have to slightly modify the above "sweet spot" single mooring line
position to compensate for your boat's tendency to prop walk.  The "sweet
spot" on your boat might also be slightly different on the port vs. the
starboard sides.  But, I guarantee your boat has a "sweet spot" on each
side.

Try this technique.  I bet it will help in your situation!

Good luck!

Roger Pihlaja

S/V Dynamic Equilibrium