[Rhodes22-list] Has anyone seen this terrific new book!!!

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Tue Jul 27 10:00:13 EDT 2004

I know how that goes, I've got about a half dozen small project stuff waiting for my boat too. But (even though my boat's not a Rhodes), I think you'll find the auto tiller installation pretty easy. I assume you got something similar to my ST2000. It consisted of me doing the wiring (the longest part, about 30 minutes), drilling a hole to mount it, and two holes for the tiller bracket. All told, about 45 minutes to install. In winds over about 15 knots, we don't even try to use it if we have two sails up. But, in light winds, or if we drop the main or jib (our boat is an O'Day 25, a bit larger than my brother's Rhodes 22 and more sail area) in higher winds, it gives us the freedom to do other things on long straight runs.

Also, when we're on trips, I use a Treo 600 cell phone/PDA. It has built in internet access, and I use that to connect my laptop if I feel the need. I work with computers for a living, so I try to avoid them onboard.

>>> Bill Effros<bill at effros.com> 7/27/2004 6:21:20 AM >>>
Herb,

You're going to make me cry.  I did get an auto tiller because I saw this problem coming, but I've been so busy I haven't even had the chance to install it.  It is sitting on the boat in it's box, waiting.

I also developed a waterproof laptop computer system that I can take to and from my boat, with a power supply that works off my boat batteries, plus another back up battery system...just in case, and a cell phone always-on link to the internet--all checked out and never used.

And still the book wasn't ready by my birthday--and I haven't sailed even once this year.  (Normally I get out at least 75 times a year.)  But, you pays yer money, and you takes yer cherse.  This year I took the choice of writing the book instead of sailing the boat.

Maybe I'll tow it down to the Keys this winter to make up for lost time.  I've been talking about doing that for a long time.  Then I can write and sail at the same time when I'm not on a tight deadline.

Bill