[Rhodes22-list] Electricity Problems

Michael Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Fri Jul 30 00:48:53 EDT 2004

it has noting to do with the batteries, thier voltage is to low for any real "shock", sometime it is a charging coil blow it's
regualtor, the voltage can jump but that not it either.

I play in saltwater but I heard the story form freashwater. The rhodes22 is any unbonded boat. I think you where building up a
static chage, the story I here is around lighting storn it can reach a point that the rigging will start to glow. Alot of people
think it is a precursor to a strike. I am a little surprized that a motor in water could built up a charge???? You must be sail in
some pure water, maybe rodge has some insight. Getting out of thier sounded like a good move. This will bring up the lighting debate
again. It never been resloved by the experts. 1)do not ground making the boat an uninterresting target, rhodes22 case. 2)put in a
good gounding system, i.e. large copper plate on the bottom, #2 wire stright from the mast to plate. Tie all meatl into plate, it
will cover you but now you are a great target(also a boat building standard). 3)halfass, fuzzy thing on mast. batrry cabels rigging,
to same a plate or wire not in a stright line, etc.... this is the worst soluation, what happens you are crying out to be hit but
are unable to handle the load.

MJM