[Rhodes22-list] Memorial weekend Chesapeake rhendezvous report

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Wed Jun 2 09:45:53 EDT 2004

We had a really nice weekend!!!!

Certainty (Don & Jeanne Clarke), Recess (Jim Harrison & Rosemarie),
Fretless (Fred Kaiser & Mary Lou Troy and Dream Catcher (Gil Eaton, Tina
Olexy and Babe). I'll let Gil tell you about Dream Catcher.

Fred and I had what started out as a great sail over towards the Middle
River from Rock Hall on Saturday looking for Don & Jim. It got interesting
as the winds turned fluky and were finally right on the nose as we headed
up towards the end of Hart-Miller Island finally motoring into the wind
before we found them. Once we did, we turned around for a downwind run that
saw the wind petering out, then powering up from a new direction 10 or 12
times an hour. There are pictures attached to this email of Recess (teal
canvas) and Certainty (sorry Don - I didn't get you with your sails full).

We rafted up in a very busy Swan Creek for happy hour looking at what was
new on each others' boats and enjoying the good company.  After and hour or
so we broke up the raft to motor down the creek to Spring Cove Marina to
meet up with Gil and Tina and see Dream Catcher (I'll let Gil tell you
about Dream Catcher). We took slips at Spring Cove. There is a picture
below of three Rhodes in a row with their pop-top enclosures up.

Spent a quiet evening in Spring Cove mostly aboard Dream Catcher. I'll let
Gil tell you about Dream Catcher.

Next morning helped Gil out with a "chore". Last pic:  what are those men
doing? Left to right: Jim Harrison, Don Clarke and Fred Kaiser.

Went to lunch as a group. Don & Jim decided to sail back to Middle River
that afternoon as the forecast for Monday was for a strong front to come
through. They reported a wonderful sail with good winds all the way back.

We hung out at our marina (I needed a nap - too much partying for this old
lady) and met up with David and Ellen Dawson - ex Rhodies - you can read
David's entertaining account of a Chesapeake adventure on the FAQ site (
http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/dawson.html ). David & Ellen moved up
from their R22 to a Marieholm 33 a couple of years ago. After they took
offshore sailing courses this spring, the Marieholm is now for sale (check
Yachtworld if you are looking for a logical big step from your Rhodes) and
they are looking for a real ocean cruiser with tankage and space for two
kids (teen and soon to be teen). We went to dinner and heard all about the
offer they've made on a boat in New England.

Spent the night at our marina. It rained several times but we were snug and
dry under the pop-top enclosure. Next day thunderstorm watches and warnings
went up early so we packed it in (while things were mostly dry) and came
home beating the holiday traffic.

It was a great weekend meeting up with a bunch of Rhodies. I think the
moral to this story is that you may buy a bigger boat but you are still a
Rhodie (and I'll let Gil tell you about Dream Catcher.   ;-)

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Swan Creek, MD / Ft. Washington, PA