[Rhodes22-list] so how where the 26rc?

Glen & Dorene Barrera dbarrera at comcast.net
Sun Jun 6 12:55:31 EDT 2004

Michael, Russ, Will, and Ed

An electrican/construction friend of ours has a favorite saying. "When all
else fails, use a BFH". (Big F'in Hammer). This was also part of the advise
Elton relayed from Nick. I took a block of wood and hammered it down a few
times over the top of the metal bar that lowers the keel . While Dorene
pulled the electric sheet I pulled the shaft side to side. It finally
worked! There must have been a jam somewhere at the top of the cable. Agree
with you all about a separate switch. The two electric lines are too easy to
step on when working on the deck.

Yes, Ed. I just wanted to get the boat in the water so we did it without the
keel. It steers well enough when there is sea room, however in tight
quarters, like turning into our slip, I would have had the keel at least
half way down.

As we were the the "first" boat. I am sure your commissioning will go a lot
smoother and be more comprehensive than ours. And you've probably a greater
knowledge of operating systems than I do. There was still a lot of work to
do on our boat when we got there: electrical, changing the head door from
inside opening to outside opening, installing the radio and antenna, etc. As
Deto was working in the cabin, it was difficult to check out the electrical
system or even the engine. Elton wanted us to stay another day (after
extending once) but we both had to be back at work on Wed. It would be
better to have everything finished before you get there.

Just some comments. Some might be obivious.

If possible, try and get the owner's manuel and even better, the Yanmar
manuel, before you pick up the boat. It is very difficult to cram with all
that is going on. I missed the part about the keel pin and trailering in the
owners manuel.

Check out the electrical system. We have the House battery, group 27, w/box
and selector switch. Please help with this. I usually have this in off and
turn it to "1" when I turn on the engine or for the keel. It has options of
"2" for the second battery bank at the 9 o'clock, and "both" at the 6
o"clock. Am I using this correctly? Should it be alternated? Also, we have
the Battery charger, 3 stage, 20 amps, 3 bank. When I plug in our shore
power will this automatically change the batteries? Or is it from the
engine? This is new to me.

Go over the engine for loose hoses. When we put our boat in the water and
started the engine we had water spurting out because a hose was unclamped.
Took out a gallon of water. Also check the oil levels, etc. I would have
spent more time on this but again, Deto was working in the cabin.

Check out the side stays. Ours seems extremely tight when the mast is
raised. There is no room for the turnbuckle to be loosened. I am going to
stop and pick up a longer "T" bolt and toggle or longer turnbuckle on the
way out to the boat today. The back stay works well now with the extension
that Elton put in.

The forestay furler swivel at the top sometimes gets canted to the side
(also happened in Edenton) when you raise the mast. You find yourself with 3
inches to go to secure the bottom to the chainplate. One of the guys at the
dock caught it. It is easy enough to swing the forestay to the correct
position.

We'll put up the bimini today. Not crazy about the way the back stay has to
be attached through an opening in the bimini top. But at the time, don't see
any alternatives.  We'll have to think about it.  Also going to put the jib
up. Then, with the cabin and vee berth cleaned up, I will finally get a look
at the batteries.

Thanks for the help.

Glen and Dorene