[Rhodes22-list] Lloyd's New Boat

Lloyd Crowther lcrowther at cox.net
Sun Jun 6 23:51:23 EDT 2004

Ed,

My last three sailboats have been respectively 27', 24', and 22' as I spend
more and more time single-handing.  If I were to follow that trend I would
need to carry a small paddle on the next boat rather than a big hammer.  On
second thought, that doesn't sound like such a bad idea!

It sounds like some of the people on the list are rigging their present
and/or new vessels to commute back and forth to Bermuda.  They seem to want
to poop in private; indulge in multiple redundant automatic hands-off
navigation, depth-finding, and steering systems; and carry enough ground
tackle to keep Hornblower happy.  Not that there is any thing wrong with
that, to quote that Seinfeld gentleman, but us peasants are getting jealous
while trying to make do with a bucket, a lead line, and a pail full of
concrete on a rope!    What ever happened to the wind-in-your-hair,
spray-in-your-face, beer-bottle-in-your-hand sailors of yore like Stan?

Of course, present readers are excluded from the ranks of the Rhodes22
astronauts referred to above.

Lloyd