[Rhodes22-list] New Owner Questions ...

Lloyd Crowther lcrowther at cox.net
Tue Jun 15 01:18:20 EDT 2004

Sheldon,

I had an autopilot on a previous boat.  It had an internal compass, one
headed the boat in the direction one wanted to go and then set the
autopilot.  Used the compass on the boat and a bearing from a chart to set
the original course.  No GPS required.

I imagine the autopilot could be set up using a GPS to find the correct
course, steering until the GPS said you are on that course, and then setting
the autopilot; or the new autopilots may now even include a GPS interface.
But basically autopilots of the kind that would hitch to a Rhodes22 tiller
operate from their own compass.  We could change our heading using the
autopilot controls and the boat's compass, the autopilot would then hold the
new coarse; and we could also tack through 90 degrees automatically using
the same controls.

While I enjoyed playing with the autopilot I didn't think it offered enough
help to warrant the cost of putting one on my Rhodes22.  However, if you
have trouble steering a compass course and like electronic gizmos, go for
it.  Hope this helps, nobody else answered so I thought my outdated
experience might be better than nothing.

Lloyd