[Rhodes22-list] Steering under power

Business International Group, LLC BIGllc at comcast.net
Tue Jun 22 22:57:56 EDT 2004

Some boats already have it but have you thought about designing a linkage
between your rudder and the outboard motor?  Some outboards are stiff and
hard to turn or too loose and won't stay centered under power.  They usually
have a "stiffnes"s adjustment.  I have a tiller instead of a wheel.  Besides
leaving you more room in the cockpit it may make it easier to design a
connecting linkage.  One consideration is not having to remove the linkage
when you tilt up the outboard but it might be simpler to design one which
only connects when the motor is down but then you'd be connecting and
disconnecting it.